Burnishing Leather

10:28 PM

Another one of my adventures into leather working....
 
Burnishing. Or in other words- Finishing the edges. Or like a friend of mine likes to say "rubbing wood onto leather" hahaha!
 
It's a simple process. I had no idea I had to do it (of course!) but it's SUPER simple. And if you have a bored kid around this could be a great way to knick that one in the bud! They'll never say they're bored ever again!
 
So far I've stained the leather (and put some pieces together- but we know I'm always in a hurry- hence my 50 million steps backwards on this project!) The next part before we add the finisher to it is to "finish" the edges. But only do this procedure for the edges that won't be sewn together at all. You'll burnish those sides when everything is all sewn and flush together.
 
I bought this handy tool.
It will allow me to use this on many different thickness' of leather.
 
You lightly wet the side you're ready to burnish, find the width that fits your piece of leather and just rub that side until you start to gain friction. You'll see the edge start to get glossy and rounded. It's beautiful and certainly helps preserve your bag. It's an annoying step but it will be worth it in the end.
 
And that's it. That's all you have to do. It took awhile for me to get the straps finished because they're so small and flimsy but once I got to the thicker pieces it was a lot easier.
 
Thanks for tuning in! Hope I could help! If you have any questions please feel free to leave me a comment!
 
-Casey

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images